Thursday, December 7, 2023

COVID Character: Terry

Since the start of the pandemic, I have played more role-playing games than I ever have before. I thought I'd use my space to introduce you to my characters, and give you a little background about the system they're in, what they're like, and what they're doing.  

Terry

Aliases: None
Pronouns
: He/Him (I think)
Character Concept: Kobold accountant and pancake enthusiast
Character Stats: 12th Level Kobold Sorcerer
Campaign: Agents of Edgewatch
System: Pathfinder, 2nd Edition
Campaign Status: Abandoned

I hopped into this campaign after the first few chapters (chronicles? adventures?) and was told that I already had a character waiting for me, if I wanted it. The character was a kobold, so of course I said yes.

In Agents of Edgewatch, the players are a bunch of rookie cops on patrol in Absalom, the Pathfinder world's largest city. This city also has a 1920s feel in places, which was a bit jarring for me. (The only other times I've played Pathfinder, it's been high fantasy).

At some point before I joined, the players befriended an NPC who the GM had provided to be a bit of local color/someone they could talk to down at the precinct. This was Terry, a kobold who either taught (or was taught, I was never sure) accounting to (or by) the players. He also seemed to have a hankering for pancakes, which, I mean, wouldn't you?

The players were surprised when Terry became an NPC and revealed that he was a high-level sorcerer in their first fight. Hello, Wall of Force. After that, the usual shenanigans ensued as we fought our way through an arena, tracked down perps, and fought a bunch of really powerful undead in the sewers beneath Absalom.

Pathfinder 2nd Edition has this problem (at least for my groups) where the game kind of implodes around 6-8th level. At about this point, monsters can hit/affect you at will and you can barely hit/affect them at all. We still won, of course, but the combats were definitely falling on the wrong side on the nail-biting versus difficult slog scale.

Even with all that, we had fun. And a bunch of unwitting NPCs died from dissing Terry.


No comments:

Post a Comment