Thursday, December 21, 2023

COVID Character: Eunice

Since the start of the pandemic, I have played more role-playing games than I ever have before. I thought I'd use my space to introduce you to my characters, and give you a little background about the system they're in, what they're like, and what they're doing.

Eunice

Aliases: None
Pronouns: She/her
Character Concept: An older lady who makes good trouble
Character Stats: I forget
Campaign: The Ministry - Historical Canadian Edition!
System: The Ministry - A World of Adventure FATE Core
Campaign Status:Paused due to scheduling

In The Ministry, players are members of the Ministry of Rocketry, tasked with discreetly investigating and combating weirdness, such as aliens, monsters, and so on. I think the default setting just before the turn of the last century (1890s-ish) Britain, but our GM decided to move our game to Canada, for a few obvious reasons (they're Canadian). I was excited about this because I have been to Canada once, and I have watched a lot of Anne of Green Gables, Anne of Avonlea, Avonlea, and Anne with an E.

So, you know, pretty much an expert on that whole time period.

I don't know how it happened, but the players decided that we were going to be a trio of tough ladies who had a habit of making good trouble. This also, quite handily, explained why we were in Canada in the first place. We assumed that the management of The Ministry were all like, "you ladies are very good, but we also kind of want you far away from here. Say hello to the people in Toronto for us! Don't write!"

We only played one session, but it was a good session and I made quite an impression playing Eunice, an older lady who had no fear and took no shit (again, something well outside of my wheelhouse). Her defining character moment was pretty great, and it's something I'm pretty proud of.

The setup is that Eunice and one of the other ladies are walking around the high street of the town, getting the lay of the land and buying some things they'd need for their stay in Toronto. While doing this, we are approached by a nattily-dressed gentleman who begins to talk to them very quickly. As he talks, we realize that he is an advertiser/recruiter for a nearby brothel, and he is checking to see if maybe we would like to a) work for him or b) partake.

After considering my character's FATE Traits, I brusquely tell the man that I want to see his house of ill repute and also want to speak to the manager. He just about swallows his tongue as I swan into the brothel and rather imperiously make the following decree:

"I have no interest in working here, but I also have no particular animosity of your business per se. However, I want you to convince me that the women who work here are doing so of their own free will, and are well paid, well treated, and well protected."

The manager does, stammering through his reply.

To which I say, "Very good. Now, if this ever changes, or if I hear any unpleasant rumors about this place, I will be back."

So, that was fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment