Friday, December 22, 2023

COVID Character: Marius

Since the start of the pandemic, I have played more role-playing games than I ever have before. I thought I'd use my space to introduce you to my characters, and give you a little background about the system they're in, what they're like, and what they're doing.

Marius

Est-a-me!

Aliases: Master-Certified Aqueduct Technician
Pronouns: He/him
Character Concept: What if Mario, but in Roman Empire
Character Stats: Strength 4, Smarts 2, Sneak 2, Smile 4
Campaign: The Cult of the Destroyer
System: Critical!: Go Westerly
Campaign Status: Suspended

This was a character I played briefly early on in the pandemic. I had totally forgotten about him until I spotted his sheet while I was organizing my game folders.I'm glad I found him, because he was pretty great.

This character is also notable for having been built (and played, obviously), in a system that I helped design. If you're interested in learning more about Critical!: Go Westerly, you can click that linky-link.
 
Briefly, the game is set in the Kingdom of Westerly, which is a very silly place that all the inhabitants take very, very seriously. There are singing pirates, monsters that have settled in the mountains in order of difficulty, giants that are divided into three clans (Rock, Paper, and Scissor), and more foolishness. The kingdom is to the west of a big swamp, which is a contested territory that it periodically fights over with the Great Eastern Empire. Whoever loses gets to keep the swamp.

Marius is a non-native of Westerly and hails from the Eastern Empire, which is Greco-Roman in theme. He is based on Mario, of Brothers fame, and works as an aqueduct repair person. He came west to Westerly for reasons that are lost on me, but can probably be summed up as: ADVENTURE!

While in Westerly, Marius teamed up with a bunch of other folks and was tasked with infiltrating the Cult of the Destroyer. The Destroyer is one of Westerly's six gods. He may be nine feet tall, clad in spiky black armor, and have flaming eyes and a reverberating voice, but he's actually a fairly reasonable guy and the patron deity of the monsters of the land. 

His cult, surprisingly enough, turned out to be an MLM scheme. We joined for the business opportunity, but also for the chance to bring down the cult from the inside. Our contact in the cult was an orc who wore a polo shirt and khakis and who, I think, went by the name Chad.

It was as fun and as silly as it sounds!


No comments:

Post a Comment