Wednesday, November 29, 2023

COVID Character: Dr. Magnus Andersen

Since the start of the pandemic, I have played more role-playing games than I ever have before. I thought I'd use my space to introduce you to my characters, and give you a little background about the system they're in, what they're like, and what they're doing. 

Dr. Magnus Andersen


Aliases
: None
Pronouns: He/Him
Character Concept: Medical Doctor
Character Stats: Middle-Aged Doctor
Campaign: The Ghosts of Castle Gyllencreutz
System: Vaesen
Campaign Status: Complete!

Vaesen is a fun little game in which you play paranormal investigators in Sweden in the late 19th century. The group and I played through one of the introductory adventures that I believe is called "The Ghosts of Castle Gyllencreutz."

And no, for those of you wondering, I was not able to resist making a Gyllenhaal reference. Sorry about that.

Vaesen has a similar ambiance to Call of Cthulhu, except very Nordic and jaded Lovecraft fans (like moi) don't immediately recognize all the spooky monsters and spells. Our party wound up working together to investigate some occult shenanigans at Castle Gyllencreutz and, after dealing with torrential rain, secret passages, spooky ghosts, and magic doorways, solved the problem and became members of the Society of Artemis.

I played Magnus Andersen, a medical doctor who accidentally wound up getting left all by himself in the castle's spooky great hall, where he was immediately possessed by a spooky ghost. 

Magnus had a checkered past. He put himself through medical school by taking on a side job as a resurrectionist (a person who digs up corpses and sells them to doctors, scientists, and other, less savory individuals). 

Every character in Vaesen has an "inciting paranormal incident" that makes them aware of the setting's supernatural elements. I decided that Magnus learned all about the Vaesen when a skull in a tomb he was...erm...exploring called out his name and started whispering strange secrets to him. 

He was fun to play, and I wouldn't mind pulling him off the shelf and playing him again, should the opportunity arise!

No comments:

Post a Comment