Sunday, November 26, 2023

COVID Character: Oskar das Kotalett

Welcome to a new series!

Since the start of the pandemic, I have played more role-playing games than I ever have before. I thought I'd use my space to introduce you to my characters, and give you a little background about the system they're in, what they're like, and what they're doing. 

Oskar das Kotalett

Aliases: Father Oskar, Father Kotalett
Pronouns: He/Him
Character Concept: Miner turned worshiper of Sigmar
Character Stats: Human Warrior Priest of Sigmar/10th level Oath of Conquest Paladin
Campaign: The Enemy Within
System: Genesys, WFRPG 4e, D&D 5e
Campaign Status: Ongoing 

Oskar features in the longest-running campaign that I've been in since Covid hit. We're playing through the updated re-release of The Enemy Within, Games Workshop's famous five-part saga originally released in the 1980s. It is an excellent campaign, with good pacing (for the most part), interesting characters, and a lot of good story beats.

I was a late addition to the game. The GM found out I had free time and asked me if I wanted to roll up a character and join in on the fun. He also said that the other players would be glad to have me, especially if I played someone who was specced for frontline fighting. I was, of course, happy to oblige.

We have changed systems--and virtual tabletops--several times, for a variety of reasons, but Oskar has remained remarkably consistent. He started out as a laborer/miner that got religion and decided to serve Sigmar. He's not nearly as fire and brimstone as other Sigmarites in the game, and the GM has to sometimes remind me that, yes, Geoff, Oskar would think it was fine and great to murder any goblins he comes across, because that's what Sigmar wants.

Despite that, I have a hard time playing a zealot, and so Oskar is more reserved and relaxed than his brethren. He also wants to mend bridges (or fences) between the Sigmarites and the Ulrician church--a major plot point in the latter half of the campaign. His willingness to do this, and his insistence on wearing his full priestly regalia even in the face of strong anti-Sigmarite sentiment, has earned him some confused and worried glances from people on both sides of the religious debate. Oskar mostly ignores this, devoting his time to rooting out cults, killing skaven, and trying to keep the Empire from falling apart. 

Considering he's only gotten 1 Sin point so far, it seems like he's doing a pretty okay job!

Surprisingly, Oskar's previous history as a miner (which I more or less chose at random), has saved the party's bacon numerous times during the campaign. We keep finding ourselves in skaven warrens, sewer tunnels, caverns, and (currently) an abandoned and possibly haunted mine. Having the GM tell me, "okay, Oskar, because you're a miner, you know..." gives me the warm fuzzies every time I hear it!

He is the current wielder of the holy sword, Barrakul, the Hope of the Mountains, which he and his companions recovered from a templar's sarcophagus in the Chaos-ravaged village of Wittgendorf.


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment