Monday, November 27, 2023

COVID Character: Willy Lightbourne

Since the start of the pandemic, I have played more role-playing games than I ever have before. I thought I'd use my space to introduce you to my characters, and give you a little background about the system they're in, what they're like, and what they're doing. 

Willard "Willy" Lightbourne

Aliases: None
Pronouns: He/Him
Character Concept: Political Activist
Character Stats: Union Agitator
Campaign: Harlem Unbound
System: Call of Cthulhu 7e
Campaign Status: Complete!

I will never stop singing the praises of Harlem Unbound, which was written by Chris Spivey. It's a great campaign, and it brings a unique and much-needed perspective to a fictional universe written and developed by a horrible racist. I learned some things about myself, and about the time period in which Call of Cthulhu is set, by playing in this campaign, and that's pretty cool.

Despite playing through a long and fairly involved campaign, Willy has always been something of a cypher to me. I've never quite known what makes him tick, other than a strong sense of social justice (which, honestly, may be enough). I am glad that, despite my lack of understanding of who he was as a person, he was an integral part of the investigative team. He helped the group out of several scrapes with his legal knowledge, his lockpicking ability, and my semi-obsessive note taking

Willy (and all the other investigators) survived through the end of the campaign, which is a rarity for Call of Cthulhu. That said, they did not escape their adventures without harm. A portal to the Dreamlands sheared off Willy's right leg below the knee, leaving him traumatized and in need of a prosthetic. This rarely slowed him down, though, and also proved to be somewhat prophetic as, later on in the game, he time traveled and wound up in the body of an 18th century pirate.

I realized, too late, that I had made a character named Willy for a game that I played with a bunch of British people. Fortunately, everyone was very mature and nobody mentioned it a single time!  

No comments:

Post a Comment