Tuesday, December 13, 2016

The RPG Character Library: Top Secret

My only exposure to Top Secret growing up was the Hero of Washington Square Choose Your Own Adventure book. The plot of the book involved an intrepid kid (you) stumbling upon a plot involving an irradiated diamond mine.  I was never sure how true to the spirit of the game it was, since it was about little kids and weird adventures and not spies and espionage missions, but it was fun and I have always enjoyed stories in that genre.

All that being said, I played D&D pretty much exclusively for 20 years, as did all of my friends, so while I had heard of Top Secret (and, indeed, of many other games), I never got around to actually owning or playing anything else until I got into college. I didn't pick up my copy of Top Secret until a few years ago when I impulse-bought it from the Crazy Igor's booth at Gen Con.

The system itself is typical of games of that era, being straightforward, light on role-playing, and largely focused on various forms of combat. It uses the same character generation system that can be found throughout all of TSR's other non-D&D properties, including Indiana Jones.  So, congrats, you now know how to make characters in Indiana Jones some 30 or so years after it ceased to be even slightly relevant.

I really like how Top Secret handles skills or, as the game calls them, Areas of Knowledge. For every 10 points in your Knowledge stat, you get one Superior Area of Knowledge. These Areas are, of course, randomly rolled on a chart, which is why my character has such a bizarre collection of skills. Then you get to randomly roll to see how skilled you are in each area. Every other Area of Knowledge that you don't get has a skill percentage equal to half your Knowledge stat.

I like it because it sort of emulates the genre very well. Yes, your character might be the best locksmith and another character might be the best disguise artist, but you can disguise yourself and they can pick locks in a pinch, because you're both well-trained spies.

The astute will note that I gravitate toward playing brainy characters with special skills or magical abilities. This is accurate. I think it's interesting that the rolling mechanics of most of the games I have thus far explored have allowed random chance to allow me to play the characters I want to play three out of four times.

One last thing: Starting with this game, I have a new rule: Any time a game allows me to purchase a sword cane for my character, I am buying a sword cane for my character.


Name
Pablo Navino
Level/XP
1/0
Bureau
Confiscation
Designation
Shoplifter
Physical Strength
53
Offense
59
Charm
61
Deception
55
Willpower
52
Evasion
66
Courage
48
Deactivation
81
Knowledge
92
Movement Value
175
Coordination
70
Life Level
11


Hand-to-Hand
119


Surprise Value
121


Vital Statistics
Height: 5’10”
Age: 25
Handedness:  Right
Glasses: No
Ethnicity: Columbian
Languages: Spanish, English, Russian

Areas of Knowledge
Agriculture: 78%
Animal Science: 73%
Architecture: 62%
Biology/Biochemistry: 68%
Computer Science: 70%
Ecology/Earth Sciences: 70%
Engineering, Aeronautical: 115%
Medicine/Physiology: 116%
Metallurgy: 103%
Physical Education: 57%
All other Areas of Knowledge: 46%

Equipment
Cash Money: $5

Clothes
Sword Cane ($50)
Lockpick Set ($125)
Torch, Metal-Cutting ($200)
Rubber Gloves ($10)


Attaché Case ($10)

No comments:

Post a Comment